Friday, June 17, 2016

Music to make your day a little better



I'd like to share some of my favorite Broadway musical songs that I'm listening to right now.  I love Broadway.  I love musicals.  I've enjoyed discovering new musicals that I've never heard of in the past year, so here are a few of my current favorites.


The Scarlet Pimpernel


A friend recently told me to listen to this, so I did and now I'm in love.  This is such a fantastic book, movie, and musical.  If you haven't read or seen it, then go do it.  Now.  Shoo.  The music is similar to Les Miserables, which I like.  But it's more baroque, which I like. 






Finding Neverland


I actually saw the movie first, and it was beautiful and amazing and I sobbed.  I personally think it was one of Johnny Depp's best performances.  And then I discovered, "oh, there's a musical, too!"  SO GOOD THOUGH.






The Hunchback of Notre Dame


Yeah....I didn't know this was a musical.  It's so much better than the movie though....it actually follows the BOOK somewhat!!  (CLAUDE'S BROTHER JEHAN IS IN IT WOOHOO.  I love Jehan.  So mad that they left him out of the movie.)  Also, the music just seems so much more powerful and deeper.  I love the Latin in it. 




Next to Normal


No, I don't like this just because Aaron Tveit is in it. *blinks innocently*  Why would you say that?  Because of this song I walk around singing "I'M ALIVE I'M ALIVE I AM SO ALIVE and I feed on the fear that's behind your eyes" and end up disturbing many people. 





Hamilton


"OH NO" you all scream "SHE LIKES HAMILTON TOO."  Yep.  Muahaha.  It's pretty awesome.  I don't like rap, but this is so different...like rap and musical all wrapped up into one.  It's really cool and the music is soooooo good.  Also King George is Kristoff so.  That amuses me so much.  I don't obsess of Hamilton as much as most Hamilton fans do, but I still will shriek "HAMILTON" randomly when any references pop up. 








Nevermore - The Imaginary Life and Mysterious Death of Edgar Allan Poe


I accidently stumbled across this song on Pandora once and I was instantly hooked.  It's so haunting and amazing and while most of the other songs are just too disturbing for my taste, I really love this one. 






Les Miserables


DON'T RUN AWAY YET IT'S OKAY!  I shan't bombard you with Les Mis songs.  But there is one in particular that makes me tear up so much.  This is my favorite Marius and Michael Ball's voice is just so powerful and raw in this song I can't.....*cries*






RENT


*GASP* "SHE LIKES RENT??"  NO.  I DO NOT.  Ick.  But this song....it's so beautiful.  And I think every single theatre kid out there knows it....it's like the song of our people. 



Now, this isn't a song to listen to, but here is one of my new favorite musicals that is on YouTube.  The whole thing.  All 2 hours of it with extra interview stuff on the side.  It's really bad quality, but hey, I'm not complaining.  It isn't on Broadway anymore, and Aaron Tveit is the main character.  Nuff said.  Watch it! 






Enjoy!  Have a lovely day and when in doubt, listen to musicals. 


Doth thou love musicals, too? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ah, hello! *sips coffee* Are you going to leave me a comment? I love comments. Comments are cool. So are bow ties. Go ahead and write a comment, there's a good minion.