Wednesday, February 22, 2017

How to Numb a Heart


They say it's a gift to be sensitive,
That emotions make us human.
But your words fall into icy hands
And fall lifeless at my bare, frozen feet.
 
Trying so hard to numb the pain,
I'm trying so desperately to freeze.
My emotions are killing me inside out,
Tell me how can I stop my heart?
 
I am a lost ship at sea drowning in salt.
Tell me how I can cut my nerves apart?
I don't care what you say my only goal
Is to find a way to numb my heart.
 
I am dying, I am drowning.  I can't hear you.
I've gone too far this time, I don't trust myself.
Am I doing this all wrong?  I just want to
Stop feeling these emotions that drown me.
 
My heart is so fragile I can feel it breaking,
I become a surgeon and try to mend the tears.
Ice spreads and grows, I keep the chemicals pressed.
To stifle my nerve endings, to save my brokenness. 
 
Tell me please what I want to hear.
I'm killing myself but can't feel the pain.
The more I scream the less I hear,
So tell me how to numb my heart.
 
*********************************************************
 
My poems are the words of my heart.  Treat them gently, humans.
 
 


5 comments:

  1. You are. My favorite. Poet.

    Is it okay if when I'm stressed I can just come here on your blog and feel healed by your beautiful poems and sassy, sarcastic words and tea-spewing gifs? Can I? PLEASE??

    What come from your heart is lovely, m'dear. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww I'm flattered, dearie. <3

      YOU'RE SO SWEET OF COURSE YOU CAN. Should I do another sassy gif post? Eh?

      Likewise, fren. :)

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I haven't been on in a while. I really should go to sleep. Just wanted to say though this poem is amazing and deep and touches me particularly because it sounds so much like some of the poetry *I've* written and you are amazing just wanted to tell you ok bye

    ReplyDelete

Ah, hello! *sips coffee* Are you going to leave me a comment? I love comments. Comments are cool. So are bow ties. Go ahead and write a comment, there's a good minion.