Sunday, March 12, 2017

The Maze Ghost


I am a ghost, transparent and silenced,
The bitter tracings of what's left of my soul,
The peeled away mist to reveal my heart--
A raw, pumping, trembling piece of meat--
I am nothing more than my mind
Dancing across the melting sun
As my laugh drowns my ears and chokes me.

No longer trying to be someone I'm not,
Just turn my eyeballs inward to light up
The dark that devours the maze of my head.
Running and tripping to find a safe refuge
Before the light goes out and the monsters find me.

I want to change, but I do not know how so I
Run and ignore the storm destroying my shell.
I am invisible, a spirit of torn apart dreams,
Guarding the flickering lights of my hope.
The black shade in my mind is cool and deadly,
I find patches of light where the fingers can't grope.

Curled up in my silence I pray when my thoughts
Are lucid enough to remember to call for help.
There's a war raging outside but in here I am free--
Insane and terrified but at least not in a cage--
Just the monsters to run from and the pits to escape.

My monsters are safer than the monsters outside,
I know them--they smell of my scent--they're my children.
My dying brain is a maze that I will never escape.
The maze ghost is the only creature still alive.
Immortal, undying, pursued by my creations,
Heart drenching my soul in blood as I flee.

But perhaps when the sun shatters the moon and
my words sing the monsters to sleep and the sky falls in,
I'll see the light of a rising soul and the burning liquid
Will quench my hunger, the gnawing yearning inside.
And I'll crawl out of my blackened and trampled maze
To find the war is over and the smoke is gone.

I can be myself and be silenced no longer.
I am a ghost in the maze of my head.
I guard my thoughts and keep the monsters in check.
Immortal curator of a fragile galaxy.
Alone and happy that way.

***************************************************************************************
This one goes out to all my fellow introverts who live in their minds. 




2 comments:

  1. As an extravert that sounds absolutely terrifying. And claustrophobic. It's a good poem though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak for anyone else but it can be very terrifying <3 But it's home. It's safe. I'm glad you liked it though!

      Delete

Ah, hello! *sips coffee* Are you going to leave me a comment? I love comments. Comments are cool. So are bow ties. Go ahead and write a comment, there's a good minion.